Wednesday, January 29, 2014

crockpot salsa chicken bowls

For those of you who aren't Atlanta natives, let me bring you up to speed.
We are in the midst of the snowpocalypse over here.


It may not look like much, but us Georgians aren't prepared for anything more than flurries that melt as soon as they hit the ground, so this has been quite the disaster.
Like, a people-sleeping-in-their-cars-and-commutes-taking-18-plus-hours disaster.
I was lucky enough to be sent home from work just in time to miss the madness.
Thank goodness!
Joe is off on a business trip this week, so pup and I have been holed up in the apartment snuggling and keeping warm.
{Working from home is the best!}
Except for the couple of times I've pulled him outside to see the sights, which he was not thrilled about to say the least.



This morning, I woke up, took the pup on a walk through the winter wonderland outside, and decided I wanted something cooked low and slow for dinner.
I didn't go grocery shopping before the storm hit {I know, blasphemy}, but luckily I had a couple of staples on hand that I thought would make a decent meal.
And I was right!

This salsa chicken is so so good.
I've made it in the oven before, but it's even better in the crockpot {as most things are}.
Plus, it's incredibly easy to make and multi-functional!
I made a bowl out of it, but it would be delicious as a taco filling or on top of a bed of nachos.

...and my love affair with Mexican food continues.


Things you'll need:

4-5 chicken cutlets {breasts or thighs will also work!}
1 jar of salsa
1 cup of cooked rice
toppings of choice: shredded cheese, lettuce, sour cream, cilantro, sauteed peppers...sky's the limit!

Lightly spray your crockpot with cooking spray.
Put chicken in {I used frozen cutlets, no need to thaw!} and cover with salsa.
For five cutlets, I used almost 2 cups of salsa.
As long as the chicken is covered, it'll work!
Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours {or on high for 4-5 hours}.
After chicken is cooked through, use two forks to shred.

Cook rice according to package directions.
You want about a cup of rice for each serving.

Spoon the chicken mixture over the rice.

Sprinkle on toppings of your choice!
Because I didn't grocery shop beforehand, all I had on hand was cheese and low fat sour cream.
I think it'd be great with some shredded lettuce, black beans, and a sprinkle of cilantro.
Maybe even some tortilla strips?
Make it your own!

Stir it up to melt the cheese, and enjoy!

If you're looking for something easy and relatively quick {I mean you really only touch it while you're assembling}, then I definitely recommend this!
Also, it was very filling.
The perfect meal for a day when you're in your pajamas taking refuge from a snowstorm!
{Besides soup, that is...we all know I'm also having a love affair with soup lately.}

How has your week been going?

Besides the weather, everything is pretty slow here.
Just taking it easy with pup, working from home in pajamas, and marking things off the wedding checklist.
Officiant and dj are officially booked!

Hope you're all staying warm!

2 comments:

  1. I'm so excited to find another Georgia blogger! This weather has been crazy, right!?
    Omg, this meal looks amazing. I'm pinning it for later!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This weather has been insane! I haven't left the house since Tuesday haha. Ice is not my friend!

      Delete